Re: L3 Switching & Swtich/Router Comparsion [7:62166] posted 01/30/2003

where did the other 1/3 of the speed go ?
:)

Larry Letterman
Network Engineer
Cisco Systems

> The router is probably in the same rack as the switch. The
cable is probaby
> very short. The fact that electrons have to travel across
it is not a
> consideration. They travel at about 2/3 the speed of
light.

> Priscilla
>
> The Long and Winding Road wrote:
> >
> >  wrote in message
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > Need your advice on the following scenario:
> > >
> > > I am using VLANs to provide the partitons for the
traffic
> > (voice and data)
> > > from various departments. In order to provide routing
between
> > various
> > > VLANs, I would need a router to do so.
> > >
> > > Please advice if there are any difference in the
> > functionalities etc. if I
> > > use
> > >
> > > 1) a L3 switch for routing between VLANs,
> > > 2) a L2 switch followed by a router for routing
between VLANs.

> > 1) define "functionality"
> >
> > 2) define "difference"
> >
> > in either case, the net result is the same. for
inter-vlan
> > forwarding on the
> > same box, the integrated L3 switch will be faster
because a)
> > electrons don't
> > have to travel as far and b) the stripping and rewriting
of L2
> > headers can
> > be more efficiently done ( if it is necessary at all )
on the
> > integrated L3
> > switch.
> >
> > once in a while this group has entertained the
discussion of
> > the relative
> > merits of L3 switches versus routers. it occurs to me
that at
> > the electron
> > level integrated L3 switching is indeed superior to
routing, or
> > at least
> > inter-vlan routing versus router on a stick. Howard -
care to
> > offer your
> > insight here? I'm talking about things as they happen at
the EE
> > level.
> > Router on a stick has to be "slower" and "less
efficient" than
> > integrated L3
> > for inter-vlan routing. OTOH, I don't see any advantage
for an
> > integrated L3
> > switch acting solely as a router, forwarding traffic
from

abuse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx