Re: Inquiring Minds want to know [7:61985] posted 01/28/2003

>Normally you would want to fix the ports on connections you know will
not
>change, like trunks, routers, servers, etc.  You do have to watch out
for
>vendor implementations however.  When troubleshooting issues with an
IBM
>2216 router (think 7507 with CIP) I found a tech note from IBM stating
that
>switch ports had to be in auto for the 2216 Fast Ethernet card ports
to come
>up reliably.

I'm finding that more and more often this is the case, especially with
newer switches.  According to spec, auto is the only way to go.  Any
other configuration is not mentioned in the spec and the behavior is
vendor-dependent.  That translates to more support calls,
unfortunately.

John