Re: OSPF to Internet Q [7:61823] posted 01/25/2003

Steve Ringley wrote:

> That is why I am asking the question - it is unclear!  Let me
> try it this
> way:
>
> If we take the textbook Internet setup, we would have an
>
> outside router - BGP
> firewall
> inside router - OSPF ASBR to BGP
> core router - OSPF backbone
>
> On the inside router, would I create an ASBR with area 0
> defined on the
> inside to core connection
>
> or
>
> Would I create an new OSPF area to define the connection
> between the inside
> router and the core router?

I think you could do either one. Your core router connects (downwards in
your picture) to Area 0 (the OSPF backbone), right?

So, does your question boil down to whether the link between the inside
router and the core router should be in Area 0 or a new Area? I think you
could do it either way.

> There are several of these types of connections in the larger
> network, and
> there is an expectation that if one of these goes down the OSPF
> and BGP will
> figure it out and shift traffic to the working connections.

OSPF should figure out which routes to the ASBRs are up. Your inside routers
should inject an ASBR Summary LSA into Area 0 to make sure other routers
know about the routes to the ASBRs.

I don't think BGP is involved at this point. It sounds like you just run
that to the outside world.

You'll need to consider how traffic gets back in to.

So, this is large-scale design, I'm realizing. You need more help than I can
give! :-) Maybe Peter, Howard, Chuck, etc. could pipe in, or maybe do some
paid consulting work for you!?

Priscilla