Re: STP BPDUs [7:46839] posted 06/18/2002

""Brian Backer""  wrote in message
> Priscilla,
>
> Weird... all the documentation I have seen says that a BPDU is a
> broadcast just like CDP and HSRP...

My friend, I believe you are mistaken.

"CDP sends packets on LANs using the multicast address 0100.0CCC.CCCC"
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/trsrb/cisnm.htm#xtocid18
4495
"Each device configured for CDP sends periodic messages, known as
advertisements, to a multicast address."
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios121/121cgcr/fun_
c/fcprt3/fcd301c.htm

"HSRP works by the exchange of multicast messages..."
http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/cisintwk/ics/cs009.htm#xtocid122331

"Routers that are participating in an HSRP group communicate to each other
via a multicast User Datagram Protocol (UDP)-based hello packet"

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/so/cuso/epso/entdes/hsrp_wp.htm

"The Destination MAC address uses the well-known STP multicast address of
01-80-C2-00-00-00"
- Cisco LAN Switching, Clark and Hamilton, page 184.