Re: What are the first thing you do...?? [7:42276] posted 04/25/2002

Youre most lkely correct when y ou say that its an 802.3 with 802.2 headers.
i didn;t think of that and i wondered when id ever use that info again! lol.
anyway, im using Sniferr Pro and trying to fumble my through some x.25 and
ipx packets. all of our teller systems or still on X.25 traffic until we
convert to an all ip based teller system. our internal network will still be
ipx as we a few legacy novell 3.1 server that dont do ip yet. all of our
server are configured correctly for frame types. we did have a problem with
sap and type 20 propagation amongst the branches but that has been since
fixed. i think ineed to join a novell group as well, i think i still a win2k
AD network instead of a netware network. just me i guess :)

Luis
""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> It sure sounds like your servers have enough power to handle 100 users
> (dual 1333 MHz processors). But if you are really concerned about
> performance, you'll want to do more investigation. The software could be
> slow. As I mentioned, with a sniffer you can often pinpoint the probable
> cause of slowness. Sometimes, it's a layer 8 problem (whiny users ;-)
>
> I wanted to comment on this statement you made: "Sniffer always seems to
> get the frame type wrong. we're using 802.2 and it always says 802.3
frames!"

> A sniffer just tells you what it sees. Unless you're using some truly
awful
> analyzer software (not Network Associates), it's not lying. You may want
> verify the configuration of frame types on all servers, routers, clients.
>
> Maybe you're just misunderstanding what the sniffer is saying, though. A
> standard IEEE 802.3 frame has an 802.3 and 802.2 header. Network
Associates
> [...]
seems
> >that compared to routers, they're pieces of cake when you're not even
> >worrying about vlans!
> >
> >Thanks again
> >Luis
> >""Priscilla Oppenheimer""  wrote in message
> > > You did the most important thing, enabling portfast. That will speed
up
> > > performance on startup. Also check for a duplex mismatch problem on
every
> > > port. You may want to hard code everything as full duplex, (assuming
the
> > > ports just connect a single device). Don't rely on auto-negotiation
since
> > > it doesn't work a lot of the time. (On the other hand, there are cases
> > > where auto-negotiation works better than hard-coding, so do some
testing
> > > first.)
> > >
> > > Keeping STP enabled shouldn't be a problem. It's the safest thing to
do
> > > unless you are absolutely sure nobody is going to add any switches to
the
> > > network in a redundant way. It's hard to ensure that. These days if
you
> > > order a hub from some vendors, you get a switch anyway. End users
could
> > > order a hub to add devices somewhere in the network and actually get a
> > > switch and possibly cause problems.
> > >
> > > STP won't affect the routers unless they are configured as bridges,
which
> > > they probably aren't.
> > >
> > > STP does send BPDU packets every two seconds, which some people could
> > > consider a performance issue. These packets go to a multicast address.
> > > good network interface card (in end devices or routers) will ignore
those
> > > multicasts and not interrupt the CPU. Unfortunately, not all PC NICs
are
> > > that good.
> > >
> > > Regarding testing the performance, do you have any before and after
> stats?
> > > How was the performance before you swapped out the hubs and put in
> > > switches? Maybe it was never so hot to start with.
> > >
> > > On the other hand, it is possible that the servers actually liked
being
> in
> > > a shared Ethernet environment and are overwhelmed by a switched
> > > environment. In a shared environment, contention for the medium would
> slow
> > > down the requests to the server. Now the server may be getting
requests
> > > much more quickly than before. What is the CPU on the servers?
> > >
> > > What protocols are you running? TCP/IP or IPX/NCP or NWLink (Novell's
> > > NetBIOS?) With TCP and NetBIOS you can often prove that the problem
isn't
> > > with the network if you have a Sniffer. You can show that the server
ACKs
> > > quickly but then takes a long time to process requests. If ACKs are
> >getting
> > > through quickly, then the network is OK.
> > >
> > > Priscilla

> >all
> novell
> >2620.