RE: WAN - serial link and RS-232 serial link [7:41670] posted 04/17/2002

I got my numbers from Cisco's Internetworking Terms and Acronyms (not
that  Cisco is always right ;-) It says RS-232 was limited to 64 Kbps and
that RS 449 is 2 Mbps.

Here what that document says about RS-530:

Refers to two electrical implementations of EIA/TIA-449: RS-422 (for
balanced transmission) and RS-423 (for unbalanced transmission).

I don't think the actual numbers matter to answer the fellow's question.
The bottom line is that serial doesn't mean slow.

Priscilla

At 07:56 PM 4/16/02, Steve Watson wrote:
>I believe you are incorrect. RS-232 supports up to 128k. RS-449 was the
>successor to 232 but the mechanics and signaling were off so the RS-530
>was born to support up to 2mb and also supported the RS-232
>specifications.
>
>Steve

Priscilla Oppenheimer
http://www.priscilla.com