Re: Finding a MAC address [7:38560] posted 04/07/2002

Depending on varios scenarios:

Assuming the following:
If users worksations are WindowsNT stations and properly configure WINS
servers you can simply retreave the MAC address by entering the host IP
address at the windowsnt command-line e.g.  nbtstat -a  ip-address

If you have Catalyst switches you can retreave their connected port by
entering in the switch enable mode CLI e.g "show cam dyn 0000.0000.0000"
48bit mac address, this command example assumes you have the set base
catalysts switches, for the IOS base catalyst it would be, e.g.
show mac-address-table address 0000.0000.0000 .
These commands will pin-point which bridge-port on the switch the
MAC-address comes from.

Jorge / CCNA CCNP / CCIE Wannabe /

Jrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Jorge_mcse@xxxxxxxxx