From: x [mailto:tomm02@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thu 4/4/2002 12:29 PM
To: cisco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Are all the Cisco jobs for CCIEs? [7:40328]

	I guess I wasn't completely clear in my original post.
	 I am not a recent CCNA graduate with no experience in
	the field or a "street vendor"(this one is pretty
	funny to me living in New York).  I am looking for
	Cisco career advice.  Judging from the responses, I am
	not the only person who wants to make the leap from a
	job that is part time Cisco to full time Cisco.

	I have been in the IT field for 6 years and moved from
	desktop, to Novell, to NT, to Unix.  I passed the CNE
	and got a junior Novell position.  I passed the MCSE
	and then got a junior position.  I worked on learning
	OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris, and Redhat Linux and got a
	NT/Unix job that included Cisco switches, a vpn
	concentrator, a PIX and a PIX to PIX vpn.  I also
	passed the CCDA, CCNA, CCNP, and the CCIE written.  I
	am planning on taking the CCDP and CSS-1 before
	finishing my CCIE.  I have my own home lab complete
	with 6 routers and a Catalyst 5000.  I would like to
	get more hands on Cisco experience in the real world
	before I try the CCIE Lab.  I am in a position now
	where I am certified to a degree, have some
	experience, and a home lab.  Usually at this point I
	can land a junior position and get real experience to
	move into a senior position. It just seems like a huge
	gap in the job market.

	All the job ads from Hotjobs, monster, and headhunter
	are looking for Cisco people are asking for CCIE's or
	people with 5+ years experience.  These people had to
	get that experience somewhere and there must be Cisco
	positions that don't require a CCIE.  I am going to go
	out on a limb assuming there are company's with 10 to
	20 routers or resellers that need CCNPs or companies
	that can't afford to hire a CCIE, but need Cisco help.
	 Where are these jobs posted?  Do I need to know a
	secret handshake? hehe  If you are a CCIE or have 5+
	years Cisco experience how did you get it(Priscilla
	Openhiemer  might have spelled that wrong or any other
	CCIEs or highly experienced people on the list)?  I
	would like to hear your story of how you "made it."
	Maybe it can give me an idea of what I need to do.

	This brings me to why I want to be a CCIE.  I first
	heard the CCIE was the most difficult certification to
	achieve when I was just starting in networking.  I was
	told the CCIE Lab is almost impossible and there were
	only about 5,000 CCIEs compared to 80,000 MCSEs or
	CNEs.  I was hooked.  Its not about the money, because
	anyone can make plenty of money just doing Microsoft,
	Novell and/or Unix with alot less effort.  It isn't
	because Cisco is "hot."  Its because this is the
	biggest challenge in networking and when I do
	something I want to be the best.