ISP connection! posted 03/31/1999

Pls  tell me how those ISPs connect with each other, I think
they also use routers, but do they also use frame relay or other layer 2
technology to connect together?
what is the so-called Internet? is it the network that connect all ISPs
other large intranets?
let's say from Europe and America, how the internet is connect over the
ocean?
and what the first tire and second tire ISPs mean?
thanks a lot.

kent