Re: CCNP & CCIE: HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE? posted 03/19/1999

At 10:13 AM 3/19/99 -0500, you wrote:

>I just  started my CCNA.  I have A+ and MCSE and have some experience with
>Cisco
>2500/5200/5000/7200.  I work 8~10 hours a day.  I have a family and want to
>enjoy a normal life while thriving for CCIE.  My questions for CCNPs and CCIEs
>are: How long will it take for me (or on average) to get my CCNP? CCIE?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Jianliang Li

Jianliang Li,

  It really depends on your daily working environment.  If you work with several
routing protcols over a mixed range of topologies (OSPF, IS-IS, EIGRP, BGP
over Frame, X.25, ISDN) and have an excellent working knowledge of Appletalk,
DecNet, IP, IPX along with mastering the other possible scenarios you might
see in the lab (i.e. IP, IPX, Apple, Dec, SNA, NetBios access lists, custom /
priority queuing, HSRP, the Catalyst product line, DLSW+....blah, blah, blah..)
You MIGHT be ready to attempt the lab within 6 months to a year, but the
minimum recommended Cisco hands-on experience (as described above) is
2 years.  If you build a home lab and put together a thorough study plan it
will GREATLY decrease the time it takes you to achieve your CCIE.  Good Luck!

  Wayne Lawson
  Cisco CCNA & CCDA, Bay CRS, MCSE, CBE, CNE
  Network Systems Consultant
  International Network Services
  100 Galleria Officentre, Suite #220
  Southfield, MI 48034