Re: CCIE written test posted 03/12/1999

Antonio,

Maybe I missed the point also.  My take on the original question was
that he thought it was too much reading to do!  He probably has a lot of
studying ahead of him whether he gets the information from the Web or
out of books, and the amount of studying necessary will depend on his
experience with routers and internetworking, and on his present level of
knowledge.  There's no way around that.

Your point is well taken concerning the cost and availability of books.
Cisco does not require that you get the knowledge from any particular
book or even from a book at all--the list is only a recommendation.

The Internetworking Technologies Overview (or handbook) is just what the
title implies--a broad overview.  It is a good starting point, but it is
definitely not enough to get you through CCIE written or lab by itself.
There are a number of detailed tutorials on the Web for technologies
like Sonet, frame relay, ATM and others.

RFCs are a GREAT resource, and you should study them even if you have
all the books ever published about TCP/IP and IP routing!  There's even
a similar recommendation at the bottom of Cisco's reading list, if you
read the fine print.  Howard Berkowitz has posted some excellent
pointers here about approaching the RFCs in an efficient way.  But the
RFCs will only cover the IP part of CCIE study.  You will still need to
know IPX, AppleTalk, DECnet, all the IBM-related stuff including token
ring, and Cisco IOS.  I believe the IPX router specifications (RIP and
NLSP) are still available from the Novell developer support site, but I
haven't been able to find much on the net for AppleTalk or DECnet
routing.

There is actually some coverage of router configuration in the CCIE
written, although it isn't an area of great emphasis.  The questions
aren't about basic commands, either, so they assume you have broad
knowledge of IOS configuration commands.  All the commands are in the
documentation CD or in the public area of CCO, however, so you don't
need to buy any books for those either.

So, bottom line is, you can probably get a lot of what you need without
buying books.  But there's no way to avoid doing a lot of studying in
the process, as you already know.

Pamela