Routing and Switching CCIE Written Exam: posted 12/01/1998

Hello,
First, I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Ken Leja an MCSE in the Chicago area. I have grown tired of supporting Windows based LAN technology and completely lacking any kind of social life I've decided to tackle the CCIE. Being nieve I just bought a bunch of books from the Cisco suggested reading list and decided to "have at it".
Making impulsive decisions was the easy part.
Many moons and several thousand pages of material later, I have become saturated. Everything that I read now seems to knock something else out of my brain, and my brain hurts... real bad. I seem to have covered most, if not all of the material at least once. Sadly my retention based on a few self tests is hovering somewhere about 15-20%.
The CCIE is definitely not like the MCSE, where I could read a few manuals and take a test every week. The scope of the material is *much* too large to plow through in a weekend. It is time to start a structured approach. I realize now that I have been covering a number of topics that are really not in the scope of this particular exam so I poked around at the Cisco WWW site and got the list of topics, but it is a little too vague.
I really need some assistance putting this stuff in order, identifying the proper resources and scope of the material that needs to be covered.
I've attached the topic list from the Cisco WWW site in hope that I can get some notes on the various topics like what to read or not to read, examples, links, favorite resources and relative importance etc.
No amount of assistance however great or small will go unappreciated
Tan'x
Ken

Routing and Switching CCIE Written Exam:
Topic List:

General Knowledge:
Data encapsulation, layering, and protocol demultiplexing
LAN/WAN media characteristics and access control methods
Common service discovery, name and address binding
Virtual circuit services in contrast with datagram services
Windowing, flow control and relation to delay
Error detection and recovery
Buffering, queuing, and their impact on load conditions
Link-state and distance-vector algorithms
Switching algorithms and implications
Network access control and security
Management, monitoring and fault isolation

Specific Technologies:
Ethernet, Token Ring, FDDI, Fast Ethernet.
Appletalk, Banyan VINES, Novell IPX, XNS, NetBIOS/NETBEUI,
IEEE 802.3 and 802.5 MAC Layers, IEEE 802.2 LLC1/LLC2 Layers,
switching/VLAN technologies.
ISDN, Frame Relay, SMDS, X.25, ATM and synchronous point-to-point serial lines.
TCP/IP, OSI with TP4/CLNS, DECnet Phase IV and Phase IV+, and SNA

Cisco Technology:
Cisco router platforms, their architectures, and applications
Cisco communications servers, their architectures and applications
Cisco protocol translation and applications.
Cisco Switching platforms, their architectures, and applications.
Common configuration commands and system/network impact
Built-in diagnostic capabilities, usage, and impacts
Configuration and management features and usage
LAN/WAN interfaces, capabilities, and applications