Re: Confusion on VTP pruning. posted 11/10/2008

Yes - it sounds like you understand this concept pretty well. If SW1 is the server and SW2 and SW3 are the clients, you enable VTP Pruning on the server device - SW1. Now, if you have VLAN 20 client off of SW1 only, then VLAN 20 traffic will be dynamically "pruned" off of the trunk links that lead to SW2 and SW3.

Pruning is dynamic, so if at any point you add clients to SW2 or SW3 for VLAN 20, pruning will adjust and send traffic to those switches via the trunk links.

If you were to make VLAN 20 prune ineligible, then you could force this VLAN traffic over links where it would have been pruned under the normal operation.

Anthony J. Sequeira, CCIE #15626, CCSI #23251
Senior CCIE Instructor

asequeira@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Internetwork Expert, Inc.
http://www.InternetworkExpert.com