QoS Shaping Hierarchical Policy Maps issue !!! posted 11/01/2008

Dear All,

Please help me to clarify this configuration that stated below.

policy-map child
 class x
  bandwidth percent 50
 class y
  bandwidth percent 20
 class z
  bandwidth percent 10

policy-map parent
 class class-default
  shape average 384000
  service-policy child

int s0/0
 service out parent

In my opinion, I think that traffic that going out of interface serial 0/0
is rate-limited to 384 kbps total. and then

class x should get minimum bandwidth guaranteed to 384 kbps x 0.5,
class y should get minimum bandwidth guaranteed to (384 kbps x 0.5) x 0.2
class z should get minimum bandwidth guaranteed to ((384 kbps x 0.5) x 0.2)
x 0.1

because I used "bandwidth" command, not "bandwidth percent" one.

But, according to "Implementing Cisco Quality of Service" volume 2, version
2.2 study guide, it stated that

class x get minimum bandwidth guaranteed to 384 kbps x 0.5 = 192 kbps
class y get minimum bandwidth guaranteed to 384 kbps x 0.2 = 76.8 kbps
class z get minimum bandwidth guaranteed to 384 kbps x 0.1 = 38.4 kbps

So, these result made me confusing about "bandwidth percent" command
accompany with shaping hierarchical policy map.

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Wittawat H.