Re: How to Become a CCIE v2 posted 05/06/2008

I second Joseph here. I work with some AMAZING security professionals, that just HAPPEN to have their CISSP certification.
I also have met people that have absolutely no practical security (attack mitigation, incident response, forensics) knowledge at all, who maintain their CISSP.

The CISSP in itself is very high level and theoretical. This maps into the core process and compliance issues that many security professionals have to deal with today.
What it is not is an exam based around skills, like GIAC series or CEH.

--
Colin McNamara
(858)208-8105

"The difficult we do immediately, the impossible just takes a little longer"

Joseph Brunner wrote:
Perhaps Cisco could consider a system like CISSP

Um, no thanks... I work with several CISSP's. They have almost ZERO practical security knowledge...

Just last Friday I had to teach one of these endorsed "professionals" The pix, subnetting, writing ACL's, etc, why we do nonat's, etc.

What good is a certification if does not give you any training/knowledge
that allows you to do anything in the real world?

The CISSP has become so devalued because it's a life raft for non-technical
people who want to work in IT.

Anyone who has a good working relationship with their boss can be
endorsed... My old boss would have endorsed me robbing a liquor store if I
promised him an ecstasy tab and a night with my girlfriend... does this make
his endorsement valuable?

-Joe
(Back on dagobah/rtp in July for a REAL security test ;)