IP cef posted 03/08/2007

Hi, everyone
  I just check CD. It states that IPCEF command is default enable on Cisco 7100, 7200 ,7500 series Internet router. However, I found "ip cef" at running-configuration in 1720 (Ver 12.3) and other routers.
  I'd like to know: In which kind of situation I need disable cef feature?
And which kind of situation I have to use CEF?

 Thanks
regards