Re: IEWB vol2 Lab3, task 3.1 - PPP authentication posted 09/29/2006

I haven't IEWB. But generally ppp-auth principle follows:
1) R4 for example (may be first R5)
send challenge packet to R5, wich consist PacketID + RandomValue + AuthName
2) R5 make the MD5 hash. Received AuthName used to lookup Passwd in local db.
  md5 hash is mix of (PacketID + RandomValue + Passwd). Sent it back.
3) R4 make the same calculation. To find Passwd is used RemoteName from R5.
Compare received MD5-hash and local MD5-hash.
4)  Send Accept/Reject to calling party.