RE: Routing through a ppp ipcp negotiated interface posted 08/08/2006

OSPF does not form because the mask negotiated is a host route, and
therefore the router believes that the remote end is not on the same subnet.

-----Original Message-----
From: nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Schulz, Dave
Sent: 04 August 2006 21:41
To: Cisco certification
Subject: Routing through a ppp ipcp negotiated interface

I discovered something interesting while setting up a network in my lab
with using ppp ipcp to negotiate the address across a serial link.  In
the following scenario, the address is negotiated fine.  However, I am
trying to run the various protocols across the link.  EIGRP, but RIP
will not allow the database to be received at the router with the
negotiated interface. OSPF will not allow the adjacency to form.
BTW....I can get the routes to be sent from the negotiated interface to
the remote (negotiating) interface of the remote router.  I am just
trying things and investigating this may not be valid to do this.
Just wondering why EIGRP works in this way, but OSPF and RIP do not.

On RIP...I get the following debug error.....(I tried this both
multicast and unicast updates, with no difference).

*Mar 16 11:07:12.927: RIP: ignored v2 update from bad source on

Here are the configs at the interface level......

interface Serial1
 ip address negotiated
 encapsulation ppp

interface Serial0/1