Re: Cisco security perimeter!! :( [bcc][faked-from] posted 03/28/2006

There are ISPs now that are bringing in connectivity via Ethernet or
FastEthernet...

Stefan - what methods of delivery is your ISP providing connectivity?  T1?
DSL? E1?  Cablemodem? ISDN (sigh)? Fiber? Ethernet/FastEthernet?

If your ISP is providing an Ethernet or FastEthernet connection, then you can (more than likely) ditch the customer Border Router in the design below. Depending on how your ISP operates and what kind of service they provide (manged vs. unmanaged) they may want a device which they can have enable access to. (In which case you might not want to give them access to your Firewall/ASA if they provide an ethernet connection of some sort, and through a border router in there regardless!)

The standard Cisco design looks like this:

ISP

Customer BORDER ROUTER

Firewall (PIX or ASA)

Customer L3 Switch (or in the past, another router to route between internal
private networks)

thanks,
Brad Ellis
CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)
CCSI#30482
Network Learning Inc - A Cisco Learning Partner (CLP)
YES! We take Cisco Learning credits!
brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.ccbootcamp.com (Cisco Training and Advanced Technology Rental Racks)
Voice: 702-968-5100