Re: random-detect + fair-queue in CBWFQ posted 03/23/2006

oops.. sorry, posted to the wrong chain initially...

As DQOS Exam Guide states "CBWFQ can use WFQ as the default behavior for unclassified
traffic. Packet loss behavior can take advantage of WRED..."

"Weighted" part of RED is either dscp-based or precedence-based, so IMO if we switch on WRED for any class in CBWFQ, we override the default modified tail-drop which comes with WFQ out of the box.

Hope DQOS citation does not break NDA... :-)

The interesting thing here is when it comes to shaping queuing. If we put "

class ABC
 shape XYZ
 fair-queue
 random-detect

- does it modify a drop policy for shaping queue or is it for congestion management only?

IMO it drop policy for shaping should be modified by doing this, otherwise we don't have any mean to control it. Thought it was not promised. :-)
One more point tfor this is that we don't have any explicit congestion management queuing for the class in this case but queuing inherited from physical interface or sub-interface. Modifying tail-drop behavior for those queues from MQC doesn't seem to be viable.

Any comments from gurus?

A.