From: nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Anthony Sequeira
Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 8:42 PM
To: Cisco certification
Subject: No Best Path with BGP

Wow - is this interesting....sadly it happened right as I got kicked off my
rental rack I need the expertise of the group to help me

Simple BGP topology......

R5(AS 200) -------------R2(AS 300)

I wanted to use a route-map to change the next-hop value of incoming routes
from R5 so that the next hop will be the loopback of R5. By the way - I had
best paths and everything was fine before trying this change....

router bgp 300
 no synchronization
 neighbor remote-as 200
 neighbor route-map HOPPER in  no auto-summary !
route-map HOPPER permit 10
 set ip next-hop

After this config - the next hop does change - but now no BEST PATHs:

R2#show ip bgp
BGP table version is 7, local router ID is Status codes: s
suppressed, d damped, h history, * valid, > best, i - internal,
              r RIB-failure, S Stale
Origin codes: i - IGP, e - EGP, ? - incomplete

   Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path
*                              0 200 254 ?
*                              0 200 254 ?
*                              0 200 254 ?
I try and get some details:

R2#show ip bgp
BGP routing table entry for, version 7
Paths: (1 available, no best path)
  Not advertised to any peer
  200 254 (inaccessible) from (
      Origin incomplete, localpref 100, valid, external

OK - so is inaccessible from My goodness - these
interfaces are on the same router! What gives? Could it be that a Frame Relay interface that is not pingable from the loopback
address ( OK - I know I am reaching - but I am tired after 10
hours on the rack.....

Can anyone help?