VTP table revision posted 10/25/2005
- Subject: VTP table revision
- From: "Feldman, Jim" <Jim.Feldman@xxxxxxxx>
- Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:54:29 -0400
I know one has to be very careful when adding a new switch (with the default
VTP server mode) to an existing switched VTP network because if the new
switch has the wrong table revision #, it could wipe out or replace all the
existing vlans. ( I rmember that much but forget some of the details).
This has me thinking about a couple things:
1. Do I want to make sure the VTP table revision # on the new switch is
lower or higher than existing VTP servers?
2. What specific changes cause the VTP table revision to change?
For example, does changes the properties of a vlan eg. mtu, cause a VTP
table # revision? Does adding and deleting a vlan cause the table # to also
change? Are all changes done between VTP advertisements counted as 1 table
I'd appreciate any guidance that can be offered here.