To: "Guyler, Rik" <rguyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; <ccielab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 26, 2005 8:29 AM
Subject: RE: Getting and Staying Motivated

There's nothing wrong with that Rik.

Keep going, it's not for Cisco, it's for you....................

-----Original Message----- From: Guyler, Rik [mailto:rguyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Sent: 26 August 2005 13:14 To: ccielab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: RE: Getting and Staying Motivated

Man, I keep torturing myself because I'm stubborn. I'm no geek and I'm not
really driven (although I used to be). My little two-year old daughter was
what it took for me to realize there is something other than Cisco out
there. Being 39 years old, I realized that I wasted too much time doing
things that just aren't that important to me. In my area, a CCIE might help
but probably not much. I'm pretty much at the top of the mountain in my
area and I'm not moving. I'm also not driving 50-60 miles one-way again
each day just to make a few grand more. Yes my friends, the blinders came
off when my baby was born.

So why do I keep banging my head against a stone mountain? Stubborness,
plain and simple. This thing has beaten me down twice but I keep getting
back up and asking for more. I hate losing...I hate giving up...I hate not
meeting a personal goal. Oh yes, I "own" a large all-Cisco network so I do
this stuff all day, every day in real life and that helps but it's not
enough so I bought a lab with the intention of torturing myself again and
again. I love learning new things for sure...that's why I started into this
field so many years ago but my daily activities provide enough of that. In
fact, my company has a great training program and I could explore all kinds
of new things if I so desired. But what do I always choose for training?
Cisco something or another. Why? Cause I'm stubborn and hate to lose. Did
I say that already?

My motivation is competition with myself, plain and simple. As long as I'm
still a competitor, I don't see that ever going away.

Rik