From: nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Brian McGahan
Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 9:13 PM
To: Matthew Seppeler; ccielab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: "ESTABLISH_AWAITING_TEI" ISDN error message

Matt,

	Before you shut/no shut or reload, try a "clear interface bri0".
Like I mentioned in class, the method that you used led you to the
conclusion that it was in fact a problem with the ISDN switch.  Using this
type of method gives you more firepower when presenting the problem to the
proctor, as you can say I tried a,b,c and d, and it still doesn't work.  The
lack of a layer 3 configuration (you don't need an IP address
BTW) is indicative that the problem relies at layer 2.

HTH,

Brian McGahan, CCIE #8593
bmcgahan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Internetwork Expert, Inc.
http://www.InternetworkExpert.com
Toll Free: 877-224-8987 x 705
Outside US: 775-826-4344 x 705
24/7 Support: http://forum.internetworkexpert.com
Live Chat: http://www.internetworkexpert.com/chat/

Of
> Matthew Seppeler
> Sent: Sunday, October 17, 2004 11:58 AM
> To: ccielab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: "ESTABLISH_AWAITING_TEI" ISDN error message
>
> ISDN is probably one of the most quirky things I had the pleasure of
> dealing with in preparing for the R&S exam.  However, thanks to the
help
> of the Brian McGahan with Internetwork Experts and the Mock Lab class
> took the other week, I've settled into an almost foolproof way of
> minimizing the headaches of configuring ISDN.  If you are in the final
> stretch in preparing for the lab, it's a class well worth the money.
>

> The basis for this email is to point out a case where it was required
> reload the ISDN switch in getting ISDN layer 2 working.  Below are the
> steps I followed in configuring ISDN with the minimal configuration
> needed to get to this point of configuration:
>

> 1)      Shut down the BRI interface.
>
> 2)      Assigned an IP address to the interface.
>
> 3)      Assigned the ISDN switch type to the interface.
>
> 4)      Assigned the spids if required.  In this case, yes as we are
> using basic-ni.
>
> 5)      No shut on the BRI  interface.
>
> 6)      Verified Layer 2 connectivity with the show ISDN status.  You
> should see "multiple frame stabled" with "valid" spids.
>
> 7)      Run the command "isdn test call int b0/0 string" to test that
> the circuit comes up.
>

> If after running all these steps, this will verify that the ISDN
switch
> is indeed ok.  Any further issues with ISDN will be a result of the
> config as extra stuff is added.
>

> Well, it looks like I found one of those rare cases that the ISDN
switch
> is to blame.  Nope, it was not due to wrong spids or switch type.
Even