Re: Banners again ! posted 06/24/2004

Read the Usage Guidelines for both commands.  Let me
know if you still have questions.  One apperes to all
line connections (MOTD).  The other is only used when
you are requiered to login.
Rich

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios123/123cgcr/fun_r/cfr_1g01.htm#wp1029652

R1(config)#banner ?
  LINE            c banner-text c, where 'c' is a
delimiting character
  exec            Set EXEC process creation banner
  incoming        Set incoming terminal line banner
  login           Set login banner
  motd            Set Message of the Day banner
  prompt-timeout  Set Message for login authentication
timeout
  slip-ppp        Set Message for SLIP/PPP

R1(config)#banner login c
Enter TEXT message.  End with the character 'c'.
This is the banner login

R1(config)#int loopback 1
R1(config-if)#ip address 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.0
R1(config-if)#exi
R1(config)#exi
R1#telnet
1w0d: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from console by
console
R1#telnet 1.1.1.1
{telnet to my self
Trying 1.1.1.1 ... Open
                      {Notice no banner

R1#exit

[Connection to 1.1.1.1 closed by foreign host]
R1#conf t
R1(config)#line vty 0 4
R1(config-line)#password cisco

R1(config-line)#login

R1#tel 1.1.1.1
Trying 1.1.1.1 ... Open

This is the banner login
                     {Notice banner before login
request

User Access Verification

Password:
R1#exit

[Connection to 1.1.1.1 closed by foreign host]

R1#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with
CNTL/Z.

R1(config)#banner motd ^
Enter TEXT message.  End with the character '^'.
This is the MOTD
^

R1#telnet 1.1.1.1
Trying 1.1.1.1 ... Open

This is the MOTD
                          {Notice Motd

This is the banner login
                 {Notice login banner before login

User Access Verification

Password:

R1#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line.  End with
CNTL/Z.
R1(config)#line vty 0 4
R1(config-line)#no login
R1(config-line)#no password
R1(config-line)#exi

R1#telnet 1.1.1.1
Trying 1.1.1.1 ... Open

This is the MOTD   {Notice only MOTD, however banner
login is still configured