RE: Network design case study posted 05/28/2004

Try BGP session through PIX-es between the the ISP routers and the internal router.

Gabor

-----Original Message-----
From: Sam Munzani [mailto:sam@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 27, 2004 6:48 PM
To: Carlos G Mendioroz
Cc: ccielab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Network design case study

I thought about that tool. However PIX will not forward any default learned from outside interface to inside. If PIX can announce conditional default to internal network, my problem would be solved. e.g. If PIX learns default from ISP nodes, then and then it will announce default to internal network otherwise would not.

I already have started on TCL script as a last resort but was curious if can be done without TCL.

Thanks,
Sam

> Do you have fixed IPs in the T1 ?
> What about asking your T1 provider to enable RIP and send you a
> default, or a local network...
>
> You need some means to get a keep alive scheme. If anything else
> fails, resorting to a tcl script might work... never tried that
> though.
>
> Sam Munzani wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > A friend of mine stumped me on using DSL backup for their Internet
> > T1
line.
> > Below is how they are setup.
> >
> > ---------Internet----------
> > |                           |
> > ISP1(T1)             ISP2(DSL)
> > |                           |
> > PIX-515              PIX-506
> > |                           |
> > ----- Router(R1) -------
> >             Switch
> >
> > All users are connected to internal switch. ISP devices are part of
their
> > managed service so customer does not have access to it. CPE starts
> > at
PIX
> > firewalls. They way it's done now is everybody's GW is router's
> > ethernet interface. Router has default route pointing to PIX-515. In
> > case of T1 failure, manually change that default route to point to
> > PIX-506. Both firewalls has necessary NATs, rules defined properly
> > so they start using
DSL