Re: NetMasterClass training posted 03/23/2004

At 1:04 PM -0500 3/23/04, Thomas Larus wrote:
Excellent advice!  I have found that my first-glance understanding of
something is often wrong.  For example, when answering questions on the
support site for my book, I have at least twice drafted an answer, and then
realized while editing  before posting that my first answer was way off,
because it answered a slightly different question from what was asked.  I
can see how what you describe could happen.

Fairly recently, at the suggestion of my lady friend over the holdidays, I grew a beard (still in beta), there are times beforehand that I was nervous about shaving. Sometimes, I would compose articles or books in my head while doing so, and, if I ever caught myself saying "it is obvious that", I promised I would cut my throat.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jonathan Hays" <nomad@xxxxxxxxxx> To: <ccielab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 12:41 PM Subject: RE: NetMasterClass training

 you wrote:
> [...]
 = = =
 Tom,

 You make a good point. I will go into pedantic mode and attempt to
 extend this as a lesson in reading lab requirements, be it a practice
 lab or the real lab booklet.

 Most people who have sat for the exam or have been following this forum
 for a while probably realize that understanding the techie stuff
 (protocols, IOS, networking, etc.) is not enough to pass the lab exam.
 Part of successfully passing the CCIE lab means reading and
 understanding EVERYTHING very carefully. And if you are like most of us,
 you aren't one of these geniuses who understands every word and its
 every nuance the first time through. So you must reread the lab
 requirement several times - I think a minimum of three times. Read it
 twice before configuring and reread it once again after you are
 convinced you have configured correctly.

 (Side note. I know I will step on a few toes here. But having sat the
 CCIE lab exam several times last year, it is my opinion that this advice
 of reading the lab booklet all the way through prior to doing anything
 else is a lot of nonsense and a complete waste of time. I'll say no
 more. Just my opinion.)

 I had a personal tendency when I first started serious study for the lab
 exam (a couple of years ago) to read a requirement quickly (either for a
 practice lab or the real lab) and jump right into configuration mode. Or
 for that matter, I tended to skim through a GroupStudy post, hit the
 REPLY button and whip off a reactionary answer. Studying for the CCIE
 lab has (almost) cured me of that habit. When you finish reading a
 requirement (or a Groupstudy post) you need to stop, weigh and consider
 before acting or reacting. Then go back and read again and verify if
 what you have concluded it true.

HTH,

Jonathan