Re: remove the /32 host route for PPPOA virtual Access int posted 11/01/2003

Hi, All,

I grabbed this from " Advanced IP Network Design" by Alvaro Retana, Don
Slice and Russ White. I have not got routers to verify this, but hope this
helps.

Typically,  dial in is handled through the Point-to-Point Protocol(PPP).
When a PPP session is initiated, a hosr route(/32) is created on the access
server for the remote site, and the host route is removed whenthe call is
dropped.

There are two methods of eliminating this influx of network activity in
EIGRP. First, you can define the command no ip peer host-route on the
interface(s) of the access server, which will stop the host route from being
created in the first place.

The second method you can use to eliminate the host routes is to summarize
the host routes learned via the dial interfaces and allow only this summary
route to be advertised toward the core. This summarization can be done by
either configuring and ip summary-address automous system eigrp statement,
or by using distribute-list out statement.

Although PPPoATM is not the same as a dialin senario, they are both based on
PPP and should have this in common.

Cheers,

++++
MAC