eigrp and variance command posted 06/12/2003

Hello,
I want to better understand the variance command, I know that it is used to
provide unequal load balancing among mutliple paths, and you specify by
variance 1-128 metric varinace multiplier. I have read the doc cd regarding
this and could not get more specific info that I need.  Basically I would like
to know how to verify that the command took place, do I need to look at the
metrics on the routing tables? Also how is the varinace applied to the metric
what is the formula? I am basically just entering the command and assuming
thats its load balancing but im not sure how to verify.
Any help regarding the matter is greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Matijevic