Re: RIP to OSPF redistribution posted 12/31/2002

I have tried the 2nd option you have suggested

I have the following setup.

R4(to)------(t0/0)R6(s0/0-FR) ------(s5/1-FR) R2

R4 and R6 is running OSPF
R6 and R2 is running RIP v1.

Interface information:
R6 s0/0 --->
R6 t0/0 --->
R4 t0 --->
R2 s5/1--->

The following are the configs for each router.

router ospf 54
 redistribute rip metric 10 subnets
 network area 0

router rip
 redistribute ospf 54 metric 2

router rip

r4-ccie#sh run | be router ospf
router ospf 54
 network area 0
 network area 0
 network area 0
 network area 0

R6#sh ip route ospf is subnetted, 1 subnets
O [110/7] via, 00:06:14, TokenRing0/0 is variably subnetted, 7 subnets, 2 masks
O [110/7] via, 00:06:14, TokenRing0/0
O [110/7] via, 00:06:14, TokenRing0/0
O is a summary, 01:03:53, Null0

R2 learns rip updates from R6  matching subnet /24, others (such as only major network address itself is included in the advertisement.

R2#sh ip route rip
R [120/2] via, 00:00:11, Serial5/1 is subnetted, 5 subnets
R [120/2] via, 00:00:11, Serial5/1
R [120/1] via, 00:00:11, Serial5/1

Now to learn other networks with different subnets (such as and I have added the secondary address to the R2(s5/1) and R6 (s0/0)

R6 (s0/0)
interface Serial0/0
 ip address secondary
 ip address

R2 (s5/1)
interface Serial5/1
 description to (FR s1/6)
 ip address secondary
 ip address

This is (bolded entries) what happens.
** and did not show up in the rip routing table.

R2#sh ip route rip
R [120/2] via, 00:00:15, Serial5/1 is variably subnetted, 8 subnets, 2 masks
R [120/2] via, 00:00:15, Serial5/1
R [120/2] via, 00:01:10, Serial5/1
R [120/1] via, 00:00:15, Serial5/1
R [120/1] via, 00:01:10, Serial5/1

Using "ip summary-address rip" on the R6(s0/0) adds but not the Actually summary is not allowed.

Any idea ?