Summarization of Routes posted 10/09/2002

What is the real meaning of the question 'summarize to the shortest possible
mask'?

Example...suppose I am asked to 'summarize the routes received using the
SHORTEST POSSIBLE MASK', and these are the routes received:

192.168.20.1 /24
192.168.50.1 /24
192.168.100.1 /24
192.168.190.1 /24

My knee-jerk reaction was to go with 192.168.0.0 /16, but upon further
thought, I could also summarize to a /13 mask and be able to ping all the
above 'nets.

Do ya think it would be wrong to do this on the test if it comes up, thus
setting myself up for disaster? The 'shortest possible mask' stmnt. is
really bothering me. Opinions please.

Thanks,
John