Re: OT: R.I.P. Edsger Wybe Dijkstra: 1930-2002 posted 08/08/2002

At 9:18 PM -0500 8/7/02, Frank Jimenez wrote:
Not everyday a luminary in the computing world passes away:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/UTCS/notices/dijkstra/ewdobit.html

Some notable quotes:
http://www.cse.iitb.ac.in:8000/~rkj/dijkstraquotes.html

I still remember sitting in on some of his lectures back when I was attending UT in the late 80's. (God, am I already *that* old?) Truly a loss.

IF you don't know why his name is relevant to a Cisco CCIE study group,
THEN GOTO studying_some_more;

Frank Jimenez, CCIE #5738
franjime@xxxxxxxxx

Damn. Aside from his great contributions to software and mathematics, which underlie some of the key functions in routing, he was both a genuine, funny man and a fine teacher. I'll never forget his long shaggy dog story on how to pronounce his name whether it was called by value or called by reference.

He will be missed.

Howard