Re: RE: Interesting DDR Scenario posted 02/23/2002

>From what I've read it doesn't look like that command would
help us here.  It's my understanding that command sets the
priority on the physical interface.  When a dialer interface
needs to make a call it will choose the interface from the pool
that has the highest priority.

In our case, we only have one physical interface but two
logical interfaces.  Would dialer priority work here?

Thanks,
John

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag

---- On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Bauer, Rick (BAUERR@xxxxxxxxxxx)
wrote:

> How about "dialer priority 0-255".

there is
> contention for the line the lower priority dialer will get
disconnected
> after 1 second of inactivity and the higher priority line
will be able
> to call.
>
> You might want to set the fast-idle on the higher priority
dialer
> interface to something high so it will not be easily
preempted by the
> lower priority dialer interface.
>
> L8r.

BRI.
> Here's the full post:
>
> <snip>
>
> I was just talking to a guy I work with about this and I
> thought it was an interesting scenario.  It was his idea and
my
> first thought was that it wasn't possible, but then after a
> little more pondering I decided that it might be possible.
> Note:  'possible' does not mean desirable.  :-)    Here's the
> scoop:
>

> [A]-----------------[B]
>   |  \
>   |    \
>   |      \
>   |        \
>   |          \
>   |            \
>   |              \
> [C] ----------- [D]
>
> Site A is connected to B, a disaster recovery facility, via
> frame relay.  A also has point-to-point connections to sites
> and D.   C and D are connected via frame relay but obviously
> only use the frame relay link to reach A if their own primary
> link goes down.
>
> C and D have ISDN connections configured to dial B in case
both
> links to A go away (Dialer Watch).  Now for the twist....
What
> if you wanted to configure C to dial D when the load on its
> primary link reached a certain point, yet still dial B if
both
> point-to-point links went down?
>
> I haven't completely figured out how to do this yet, but
here's
> a start.  You might configure two Dialer profiles, one for
each
> destination.  On the major interface on C you'd configure
> Dialer0 as your backup interface and configure an appropriate
> load.  When the line utilization reaches that load, the
router
> would dial Site D.
>
> Then you might configure Dialer Watch on Dialer1 and make it
> dialer Site B if routes originating from Site A disappear.
The
> difficulty is that the Dialer interface that calls Site B
would
> have to have absolute priority.  If the primary link goes
down,
> because Dialer0 is configured as a backup it might grab the
BRI
> first.  Even if it does get there first, when Dialer Watch
> kicks in, we'd have to have a way to clear the line
immediately

_
http://www.groupstudy.com/list/commercial.html

_