Re: Choosing among multiple intra-area ASBR routers posted 02/07/2002

Hi, Sherry.

I know what you are talking about.
I've had the same confusion for this, but it's still very foggy.
A while ago, I myself posted this question but there were no satisfactory replies.

There was a posting for this in "OSPF" mailing list. It sure is a very confusing subject!
You can find the clear explanation from John Moy.

John's answer:

Well, I have concluded from my own short lab sessions that in a default configuration, Cisco's implementation doesn't conform to RFC2328 when it comes to the path selection over multiple intra-area paths to ASBR.
That means there's no preference for non-backbone intra-area path to ASBR over backbone intra-area paths to ASBR.

But there's a mysterious command which seems to be a knob to make a Cisco box conform to RFC2328, I suspect.
That's "no compatible rfc1583" command under the router configuration. ("compatible rfc1583" is default)

I think it's worth doing some lab with this command, "no compatible rfc1583".
Sorry I can't do it myself because of the lack of equipments, :(
If you find anything about this command's  behavior, please let me know it.