Re: Help! posted 09/14/2001

Russell

It is very likely that what is causing this behavior is the subnet of
the ISDN being advertised/redistributed from IGRP back into OSPF.  In
particular when the ppp session is setup, a /32 route for the IP of the
other end of the connection is put into the route table.  When the
connection is broken the /32 route is withdrawn.  IGRP sees a route
update and redistributes into OSPF.  OSPF generates an external LSA and
needs to bring up the ISDN circuit so the LSA can be transmitted and the
database kept in sync.

There are two good ways to resolve this issue.  You can filter the
redistribution to prevent the subnet of the ISDN from being redistributed
(probably the more common of the solutions) or you can configure the ISDN
interface so ppp does not insert the /32 route.

There have been quite a few threads on this subject and a search of the
archives might be helpful in finding more details.

Rick

Rick  Burts, CCSI   CCIE 4615        burts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mentor Technologies                  240-568-6500  ext  6652
133 National Business Parkway        240-568-6515  fax
Annapolis Junction, Md  20701

Chesapeake Network Solutions has now become Mentor Technologies.
Mentor Technologies is a certified Cisco Training Partner and also
a Cisco Professional Services partner.
We offer most of the Cisco training courses.
We also offer training in Checkpoint Firewall software and
Fore Systems (now Marconi) and MicroMuse.
We also provide network consulting services including
design, management, and problem solving.
We have 21 CCIEs on our staff.
We offer the breakthrough VLAB remote access technology for
access to practice configuration on real equipment.