Re: HSRP load sharing with redundant circuits posted 09/13/2001

Anthony

I am not sure I fully understand your objectives but it sounds to me like
policy routing would provide what you need.  You could define policy
routing (with its associated route-maps) so that certain traffic going
through the master would have the next-hop address set to be the slave
router which would receive the traffic and make a forwarding decision
which would send the traffic down the other link.  You would need
something similar at the other end to ensure that responses were divided
over both links.

While you could do this, it would  be somewhat complex and I dont know
that the results would be what you really want.  There are several issues
to consider including:  do you also need something similar if the backup
router takes over the HSRP lead; what will be the result if the Ethernet
remains up so the lead router is redirecting traffic to the backup but the
WAN link from the backup is down (would you be creating a loop ?); while
it will utilize bandwidth on both WAN links it will mean that some traffic
will cross the LAN twice (increasing load on the LAN to balance the WAN),
what criteria would you use in the route-map to identify traffic to be
re-directed ?

Rick

Rick  Burts, CCSI   CCIE 4615        burts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mentor Technologies                  240-568-6500  ext  6652
133 National Business Parkway        240-568-6515  fax
Annapolis Junction, Md  20701

Chesapeake Network Solutions has now become Mentor Technologies.
Mentor Technologies is a certified Cisco Training Partner and also
a Cisco Professional Services partner.
We offer most of the Cisco training courses.
We also offer training in Checkpoint Firewall software and
Fore Systems (now Marconi) and MicroMuse.
We also provide network consulting services including
design, management, and problem solving.
We have 21 CCIEs on our staff.
We offer the breakthrough VLAB remote access technology for
access to practice configuration on real equipment.