IPSec and GRE posted 06/14/2001

Hi,

I see quite a few posts and recommendations to use GRE tunnels with IPSec.
This confuses me because IPSec performs tunnelling in its default
configuration anyway so I cannot see any reason for tunnelling through a
tunnel?

Can anybody give a good reason to use a GRE tunnel instead of the default
IPSec tunnel mode configuration?

Cheers

Andrew G. Mason
CCIE #7144