RE: Cisco 2511 Terminal Server posted 05/03/2001

Steve,

The whole point of having a terminal server is not to telnet to your
routers, all you have to do is connect an octopus cable from your ASYNC
ports on the 2511 to the console port of your other routers, then you need
to configure the terminal server with an ip address, I would use a lo
interface address such as 1.1.1.1 and then here is the command you need:

ip host "Name of router" 2001 1.1.1.1

in this example you have a router ,which you can give a name, connected to
your first console cable labled 1 of your octopus cable which is connected
to ASYNC port 1-8.
to access your routers all you need to do is type the name you give it, if
you gave the first router a name of R1, then type R1 at the prompt of your
terminal server and you should be good to go, to get back to the TS use
CTRL+SHIFT+6 X.

Hope that helps......

Louie J. Kouncar
TCO3 Senior Data Center Engineer