RE: ATM-CLIP posted 05/02/2001

Just FYI, this command does not work properly on all versions of IOS.

Leah

-----Original Message-----
From: nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:nobody@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
Wayne Gustavus
Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2001 11:27 AM
To: 'Pat Bodin'; ccielab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: ATM-CLIP

Pat,
The ilmi-pvc-discovery does go on the physical interface, but it acts more
like discovering the DLCI in Frame Relay rather than inarp (remember we are
talking about L2 addressing, not L3).  The VPI/VCI label is analagous to the
FR DLCI and is used to correctly identify the proper logical connection to
carry your traffic.  By adding the subinterface keyword at the end of the
command, the router will automatically associate the discovered PVC with the
sub-interface number that matches the discovered VPI of the pvc.  Note that
the command does NOT create the subinterface for you, you must do this
manually.

Once you turn on the ilmi-pvc-discovery, you can issue a 'sh atm vc' (not a
sh atm map)command to see the discovered values (will show up in the table
with a PVC-D type).  The information in the table will tell you what
sub-interface number to use in order to have the PVC automatically
associated with the sub-intfc.

HTH,

Wayne Gustavus	CCNP,FLCE,FLCI	703-582-9594
Consultant,	     email: wgustavus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mentor Technologies, Inc.	www.mentortech.com
**** Formerly Chesapeake Network Solutions ****