Re: netbios filter on DLSW - am I missing something? posted 01/20/2001

Hi,

I tried both. JCONNARY-W2K is off of R3 and JULIE-95 is off of R2 - but I'm
going to do it again this morning with
a fresh mind.

I read in Source-Route-Bridging the following caveats:
As you configure NetBIOS access filters, keep the following issues in mind:

      The access lists that apply filters to an interface are scanned in
the order they are entered.

      There is no way to put a new access list entry in the middle of an
access list. All new additions to existing NetBIOS access lists are placed
at the end of the
      existing list.

      Access list arguments are case sensitive. The software makes a
literal translation, so that a lowercase "a" is different from an uppercase
"A." (Most nodes are
      named in uppercase letters.)

      A host NetBIOS access list and byte NetBIOS access list can each use
the same name. The two lists are identified as unique and bear no
relationship to each
      other.

      The station names included in the access lists are compared with the
source name field for NetBIOS commands 00 and 01
      (ADD_GROUP_NAME_QUERY and ADD_NAME_QUERY), as well as the destination
name field for NetBIOS commands 08, 0A, and 0E
      (DATAGRAM, NAME_QUERY, and NAME_RECOGNIZED).

      If an access list does not contain a particular station name, the
default action is to deny the access to that station.

To minimize any performance degradation, NetBIOS access filters do not
examine all packets. Rather, they examine certain packets that are used to
establish and
maintain NetBIOS client/server connections, thereby effectively stopping
new access and load across the router. However, applying a new access
filter does not
terminate existing sessions immediately. All new sessions will be filtered,
but existing sessions could continue for some time.

so I disabled DLSW, made sure the connections were gone, re-enabled and
still a connection.
I guess I have to figure out whether my list should filter on the source or
destination. In examples - they usually put
in the source, but when jconnary-w2k goes to talk to julie-95 -  it sends
out a name_query - right. So then it should be
the destination.

Well, I'm going to try one more time and move on to multicasting.

Thanks,