Sent: Monday, July 12, 1999 8:44 PM
Subject: Re: BGP

Ben, If you have a copy of Bruce Caslow's book check out Page 462 on the bottom.  He has a nice explanation of the rule of synchronization.

The way I understand it, synchronization is used when you have BGP redistributing to the IGP.  With Synchronization (on by default) a router will not announce BGP routes to other EBGP neighbors until the routes appear in the IGP through the redistribution.

Turning off synchronization will allow the BGP router to advertise routes to another EBGP neighbor without knowledge of the route in it's IGP...

- Ed  (14 Days....)